Fine Art Shipping- An Art in Itself
Whether you are an artist who sends fine art across the globe regularly or you are an art-loving person who is moving to a different state or country with all your possession, fine art shipping always poses as a problem. Well, it should not be a problem.
It is more valuable stuff than your other household items and thus, it requires that you know each and everything about shipping your precious sculptures, paintings, drawings, and artwork. After all, you love them dearly, right? Well, if you are shipping these fine arts, you should have a brief knowledge of everything even if you are hiring a fine art shipping company.
If you ask any artist or any household who has ever shipped fine art, they will tell you several stories about the problems they faced because of their lack of knowledge. The damage to fine art, improper packing, custom rules, and numerous stories are available out there, which encourages you to know about fine art shipping as much as you can.
5 Things You Must Know About
Shipping off your valuable possessions to another state or country is not easy for you. Gather all the knowledge about things you need to ensure the safe and secure arrival of your fine art at your new place.
Thought About Custom Cases?
Packing artwork is artistry in itself. It’s not like you rolled them up in a paper and you are done. You need expertise, proper handling, and expert hands to fulfill the task. Ever gave a thought to custom cases? If you hire a fine art shipping company, they always come with these custom crates. These crates are designed specifically for your artwork based on their type, size, and shape. Packing your artwork in these crates ensures their safety during the transit as well.
When you choose a fine art shipping company, talk it out with them. They pack all of your stuff with their expert hands according to the need of your piece of art.
Is Your Fine Art Covered By Insurance?
When you make a move, you take a mover’s insurance policy without any fail. For fine art though, you need additional security. No matter how safe you play, there is always a chance of the mishap. This is the life that is uncertain in itself. So do take third party insurance for your fine art.
General mover’s insurance is 60 cents per pound i.e. you get 60$ for a 100$ loss. There are several insurance companies out there, Talk out your insurance options with them, and choose an insurance policy that suits you best.
You can also discuss it with your fine art movers as they can also guide you in this matter.
Sea or Air ? Make a Choice
When you are moving to the neighboring suburb, or just across the city or state, you can simply load everything in a truck and done. But things are not the same with international shipping. When you are shipping the fine art across the globe, you need to choose the best way, i.e. whether to ship your stuff through sea freight or air freight.
It depends on the urgency of the situation and the budget. While everyone knows that sea freight is the most cost-effective option, it is a bit slower when compared to air freight. Being an artist, if you ship fine art on a regular basis and the volume is large, sea freight is the best option. If it is an urgent shipment, the flight courier is a better choice. If you have no care for a budget and you have a small volume of artwork to ship, you can go for commercial air freight.
Choose Only the Best
Your fine art deserves the best fine art movers who understand their values and knows how to care for them and ship them safely. When you are looking for a fine art mover, consider the following points-
- Only an experienced fine art shipping company knows what it takes to ship the fine art in the safest possible manner. Right from the packing to their safe arrival, their experience plays a key role.
• Do Your Homework
- Before asking for quotes from the fine art movers in your area, do your homework and search about the best ones from the local museums, auction houses, and your friends and family if they have used one. It’s not a great task but it will be very helpful in making the right decision regarding the shipping company.
• Ask Questions and Understand the Terms
- It’s not like you ship fine art daily. It is okay if you don’t know certain things and it is completely okay to ask. A genuine and experienced fine art shipping company will answer all your questions and help you understand things clearly. Do discuss the terms and services that will be included in their quote.
- If you are shipping the fine art domestically, the shipping company does not need a license for that. But in case of international shipping, an export license is required. Do ensure that the shipping company you choose for your fine art holds one.
- You can also choose a company through the reviews on their website if they have one. You can obtain knowledge about their work from their previous clients and make your decision accordingly.
Do not fall for the cheapest mover, as their services may also be cheap. Not that it is always the case, so discuss with the company about the quote and the services that will be included in their package.
Fine arts are valuable. Even the thieves know that they are valuable and thus there is a greater chance that fine art may get stolen. Even if it is not stolen, the storage facility must be suitable for things like sculptures, paintings, drawings, artwork, etc. When you choose a fine art shipping company, make sure that they have a safe and secure storage facility that can protect your fine art.
Cost Of shipping
It is a myth that fine art shipping is costlier. Actually the cost of shipping is based on the distance, volume of the shipment, choice of transportation, etc. If you will ship a truckload of fine art through air freight, of course, it will be costlier. Ask for a quote from 4-5 movers and then decide on one after discussing everything.
It has been established that in order to ensure proper packing, customs clearance, loading, moving, shipping, unloading, etc. the need for a fine art shipping company is essential. Choose the best global shipping company and ensure the safe arrival of your fine art pieces.
GET A FREE QUOTE